Thursday, February 10, 2005

Tits, 'tails and 'peckers

Despite my efforts, it seems the only birds that like my seeds are a pair of great tits. This was reaffirmed by my eloquent and ever concise girlfriend who gets to watch them from her workdesk. 'There's a pair of great tits on your nuts,' she wrote in typically witty fashion this morning.

I'm not disheartened by this though. We've heard a woodpecker drilling on a tree at the end of my garden, we've seen pied wagtails flitting about happy as larry, and as I've said before, there's a lovely pair of robins that keeps us company. There are many species out there doing ok. The only problem is that I want to provide them with food.

My bird family should be ship shape and podgy with fat, just like my cat, but it feels like I'm trying to cook the sunday dinner from hell: each child likes only one, differing vegetable; there's a vegan coming over to dine; and one of your friends has a starch intolerence so you can't cook roast potatoes.

But still, maybe with a bit of planning next year I'll be able to satisfy all the little birds in the garden. However, I do have a nagging suspicion that they'll just love any seeds I might plant in my veg plot.

No comments: