Friday, March 04, 2005

Cock a leeky!

The news of the fortnight is that my seeds have erupted. Well, a few of them have, and – apart from two stray leek seedlings – they’re all various lettuces. In the other seeds’ defence, the week following their planting was the coldest and snowiest week of recent years. So no wonder they wanted to stay where they were.

It was clear that yesterday’s blazing sunshine (the sun always shines in Crystal Palace, by the way, even in the recent blizzards) brought out the leeks, so there is a hope that more will pop up to greet me soon. But it would seem that the leeks are just itching to get out into my veg plot. All the other seeds I planted will eventually live in pots – not a bad life, I agree, but just not as exciting. And I’m sure the leeks have seen that the frost (finally some frost!) has had a chance to work at the soil and make it nice and comfy for them.

Who’d have thought leeks were the early formers in life? They must be the females of the vegetable world!

No comments: